D.C. already has a mayor, Muriel Bowser. Now its’ looking for a Nightlife Mayor. Similar to places like London and New York, the District has recognized common problems and mishaps with the nightlife scene and need help.
The official title for the position is Director of the Office of Nightlife and Culture. The main duty of the job would be to advise the D.C. Council and Mayor Bowser on common issues and trends relating to D.C.’s after-hours economy.
Here are the full responsibilities and duties for the position according to the city:
- Plans, organizes and designs the administrative structure for the Office of Nightlife and Culture, and serve as key staff support for the Commission on Nightlife and Culture.
- Serve as a liaison to nightlife establishments in relation to city policies and procedures affecting the after-hours economy.
- Conduct outreach to nightlife establishments and provide information and assistance in relation to District policies and procedures for responding to complaints, violations and other enforcement actions.
- Assist nightlife establishments in the resolution of conditions that lead to enforcement actions.
- Serve as a point of contact for nightlife establishments to facilitate connections to District government agencies for matters including but not limited to, consumer complaints, issues with District government agencies and obtaining relevant permits, licenses and approvals.
- Advise and assist the Mayor and District government agencies that have duties relating to nightlife establishments.
- Review information obtained form District government agencies, Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, residents and nightlife establishments to pursue long term solutions to issues related to the after-hours economy.
- Appear before and consult with the Commission on Nightlife on ways to improve laws and polices that impact the after-hours economy.
- Prepare an annual report detailing the actions taken and recommendations to improve the after-hours economy.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.